Andorra is one of the many countries that are included in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). This Program enables Andorran passport holders to travel to the USA without a visa. As of January 12, 2009, the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) became a mandatory requirement of the Visa Waiver Program. The ESTA is an online application form which all travelers from Visa Waiver Countries, including Andorra, has to complete. The Visa Waiver Program made traveling to the United States easier for millions of visitors by only requiring an ePassport/machine-readable passport. However, due to increased security regulations, the same visitors must now apply for a Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling. A machine-readable or e-passport from a Visa Waiver country is still required to apply and request entry to the United States. The ESTA application process is conducted online and operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
It is important to know that a Travel Authorization is not a visa. There are many differences between these two documents. A person from a non-visa waiver country cannot even apply for a Travel Authorization. The main purpose of ESTA is to allow DHS to pre-screen all Visa Waiver Travelers before they leave their respective countries. Travelers from Andorra are recommended to apply for the Travel Authorization at least 72 hours prior to departure. An approved Travel Authorization is a required to travel via air or sea, but does not guaranty entry to the United States.
Facts About ESTA:
- ESTA (U.S. Travel Authorization) is very different from a visa. A Travel Authorization is a required pre-authorization to board a U.S.-bound ship or airplane.
- The main purpose of ESTA is to provide the U.S. government with an overview of how is intending to visit their country before departure.
- The Visa Waiver Countries is only available for to passport holdes from the 38 Visa Waiver Countries.
- All travels are strongly recommended to apply for ESTA at least 72 hours prior to departure or several weeks in advance.
- Denied ESTA applications means that the traveler must apply for a B-1 Visitor Visa or B-2 Tourist Visa.
- An approved ESTA Travel Authorization is required to travel to the United States and request entry for the purpose of the visit. It is not a guaranteed entry.
Do citizens of Andorra need to apply for ESTA?
- Yes, passport holders/citizens of Andorra must apply for ESTA before entering the United States.
- Citizens of Visa Waiver countries including Andorra are now obligated to apply for ESTA.
- Visitors that only transit through the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must also apply.
- Children and infants must have their own ePassport and approved Travel Authorization to transit through the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.
When should you apply for a United States Travel Authorization?
- ESTA became mandatory on January 12, 2009 to include citizens from all Visa Waiver countries (including Andorra).
- Transit travelers through the United States must also apply for a Travel Authorization.
- Denied Travel Authorization applications means that the only option left is to apply for a B1/B2 Tourist Visa.
About ESTA Applications
The process is Online
Application takes about 15 minutes
Over 99% Approval Rate (Source: DHS)
Mandatory Since January 12, 2009
Valid for up to 2 Years