Liechtenstein joined the United States of America’s Visa Waiver Program (VWP) in 1991 which meant that citizens of Liechtenstein could visit the U.S. without applying for a visa under certain circumstances. Since then, the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) has been introduced (2009), and all travelers have since been able to apply for the Travel Authorization entirely online.
The ESTA grants admittance into the U.S. for up to 90 days for the purpose of business, tourism (including medical purposes), and to participate in non-credit study programs. Traveling to the U.S. for other reasons and for a longer duration would require a visa that can only be obtained at the nearest U.S. Embassy located in Bern, Switzerland (combined branch for Switzerland and Liechtenstein). If you are certain that you need an ESTA, then you can apply for it today here.
U.S. Immigration statistics for visitors from Liechtenstein (2017):
- The total amount of visitors from Liechtenstein: 2 183
- Approved ESTA applications: 1 919
- Students and exchange visitors: 41
- Temporary workers and family-related applications: 74
- Diplomats and other official representatives: 60
- Other types of visitor categories: 0
Traveling to the U.S. From Liechtenstein
The closest international airport with direct flights to the U.S. is Zurich International Airport (ZRH). From Vaduz to Zurich, it can take you 1h 30m to reach by car (via A13 and A1), and 1h 45m by train (1h 14m from Sargans Station IC3 > IC1).
Nonstop flights from Zurich to the USA
- ZRH to Miami: 10h 25m – SWISS is the only carrier offering this route
- ZRH to Washington D.C. (Dulles): 8h 15m – United/SWISS
- ZRH to Philadelphia: 8h 15m – American
- ZRH to New York (JFK+EWR): 8-9h – Delta, United, and SWISS
- ZRH to Boston: 8h 25m – SWISS and United
- ZRH to Chicago: 9h 35m – SWISS and United
About Zurich International Airport
- Book parking in advance to save costs. You can book it here.
- Dropping off travelers on Check-in 1 & 2 is free the first 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, CHF 1 per minute will be charged.
- Picking up travelers coming back from their U.S. trip on Arrival Zone 1 & 2 is not free.
- Learn more about the airports VIP Services here.
- There is nothing wrong with being prepared when traveling, so check out the ZRH Airport Map and download the Zurich Airport app for 2 hours of free Wifi, Live TV, parking space reminder, travel planner, push messages for important information, calendar imports, waiting time calculations for the security check, online parking space booking, flight radar, and even more help.
When should Liechtensteiners apply for the ESTA?
It became compulsory to apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours before boarding a U.S.-bound aircraft in late 2018. And it is recommended to apply weeks or even months in advance to make sure that the travel authorization (ESTA) is approved. Getting denied means that applicants must apply for a tourist visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy. If you have plans to visit the United States in the near future, then apply as soon as you can. Read more about the ESTA application here.
Travelers from Lichtenstein with an approved ESTA can check its status or make updates. Visit this page for more information: verify/update ESTA.
Liechtensteiners can apply for ESTA online
The ESTA is valid for 2 years for visitors from Liechtenstein
Liechtensteiners can stay in the U.S. for up to 90 days with an approved ESTA
Liechtenstein’s overstay rate is only: 0.60%