ESTA Application Online for Citizens of New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
ESTA Required: Yes
New Zealand citizens can submit their ESTA application online because New Zealand participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The visa-free program allows New Zealand citizens to visit the United States for tourism, business, for medical reasons or short-term study programs (non-credit). The ESTA application system (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) became a requirement of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) on January 12, 2009. The ESTA application system is only available for New Zealand citizens with machine-readable passports (e-passport) and other Visa Waiver travelers and has greatly simplified travel to the United States. The entire application process is conducted online and operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
U.S. Travel Authorizations are not visas, and travelers from non-Visa Waiver countries cannot apply for them online. The purpose of the ESTA application system is to allow DHS to pre-screen visitors before they leave their respective countries. U.S.-bound New Zealand nationals are recommended to apply at least 72 hours before departure. An approved U.S. Travel Authorization does not guarantee entry, however, is a requirement to travel to the United States by air or sea carrier. Approved applications usually are valid for at least two years.
Important Information About ESTA:
- ESTA is not a visa. It is a pre-authorization to board a ship or airplane bound for the United States.
- The purpose of ESTA is to let the U.S. government pre-screen all Visa Waiver travelers before entering the United States.
- Citizens of the 38 Visa Waiver countries entering the United States can apply.
- It is recommended to apply for ESTA at least 72 hours before traveling.
- You will be required to apply for a B-1 Visitor Visa or B-2 Tourist Visa if your application is denied.
- Approved ESTA applications does not guarantee entry to the United States.
Do citizens of New Zealand need to apply for ESTA?
- Yes, citizens of New Zealand need to apply for ESTA before entering the United States.
- Anyone that intend to visit the USA under the VWP via air or sea.
- Citizens of New Zealand transiting through the USA must also submit an ESTA application and be authorized for transit.
- Children and infants from New Zealand who visit or transit to the USA under the VWP.
When should citizens of New Zealand apply for ESTA?
- Citizens of New Zealand should apply for ESTA and be approved to enter the United States under the VWP at least 72 hours prior to departure.
- It is recommended to apply before going to the airport to make sure that the application is received and approved.
- If your ESTA application is denied, you can apply for a standard U.S. Visa. For example, a B-1 Visitor Visa or B-2 Tourist Visa.
5 Facts About USA ESTA
New Zealanders can apply online.
Application can be completed in 15 minutes.
Above 99% of applications are approved.
Valid for up to two years.
Payment with major credit card brands accepted