San Marino was accepted by the United States of America to join its Visa Waiver Program in 1991. It meant that citizens of San Marino could travel to the U.S. with a travel authorization instead of a regular tourist visa.
In 2009, when the United States launched its online platform the “Electronic System of Travel Authorization” (ESTA), citizens of San Marino could merely go online to apply for their travel document granting admittance into the United States. The ESTA lets citizens of countries that have been accepted into the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enter the U.S. for up 90 days. The trip has to be for the purpose of business, tourism (including medical purposes) and for attending non-credit study programs. An approved ESTA is valid for two years and can be used multiple times.
ESTA is different from a visa and is less time-consuming to obtain since a visit to a U.S. Embassy is not required. Visiting the U.S. for a longer duration than 90 days or for other purposes than those states would require a tourist visa. Take note that San Marino’s closest U.S. Embassy is located in Florence.
- The total amount of visitors from San Marino: 751
- Approved ESTA applications: 692
- Students and exchange visitors: 16
- Temporary workers and family-related applications: 6
- Diplomats and other official representatives: 30
- Other types of visitor categories: 0
When leaving the exquisite enclave of San Marino to travel to the United States, there are several options for you to choose from; though it should be noted that San Marino does not have its own airport, therefore you will have to travel to an Italian airport in order to fly to the United States.
- Travel Information: Taking the motorway to the airport – you have to take the Autostrade Italia, the SS72 before getting off at the Casello A14 Rimini Sud toll, paying €12 ($13,4USD) before continuing on to a roundabout, getting off at the A14 exit onto the Autostrada Adriatica, which you will travel on for 105km (approximately 1hr of travel time), arriving at Guglielmo Marconi Airport.
- Flight Information: The cheapest flights from San Marino (via Bologna airport) are flights to New York, Miami and Chicago, all coming in under $700 USD.
- Travel Information: Taking the motorway from San Marino to Florence’s Peretola Airport is a similar journey to the one you will take to Bologna, and in fact will take you past Bologna en-route. Taking the same route to the A14, you need to follow the A14 till it merges with the A1/E35 roundabout and follow the A1/E35 for 45 kilometres before taking the A11/E76 exit to Aeroporto Firenze.
- Flight Information: Flying from Florence (or Ancona, for that matter) to the United States is the second-most expensive of three options, with flights to New York’s JFK airport coming in at just over $1000 (USD), with most flights having one stop at either Rome, Zurich, or Frankfurt Airport.
- Travel Information: Flying to the United States from Ancona means that you will be heading down the Adriatic Coast. It is the shortest of three car journeys, at approximately 1h, 15m long, traveling along the A14. You will pay the same toll as you would if you are going in the other direction.
- Flight Information: Flights from Ancona to the United States are among the most premium of flights, often reaching into the thousands of dollars. However, they do fly to either coast of the United States and a total of eleven U.S. cities.
It became mandatory to apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours prior to boarding a U.S.-bound airplane in December 2018. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible before traveling to the United States of America. If an application is denied, much time might be needed to apply for a tourist visa as a trip the nearest U.S. Embassy would be required. If you have already planned to visit the U.S., then it is better to apply as soon as possible.
Citizens of San Marino can apply for ESTA online
The ESTA is valid for two years for visitors from San Marino
Citizens of San Marino can stay in the U.S. for up to 90 days with an approved ESTA
San Marino’s overstay rate is only: 0.41%