Spanish citizens can submit their ESTA application online because Spain participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). The program allows Spanish citizens to visit the United States for tourism, business, for medical reasons or short-term study programs (non-credit). The ESTA application system (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) became a requirement of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) on January 12, 2009. The ESTA application system is only available for Spanish citizens with machine-readable passports (e-passport) and other Visa Waiver travelers and has greatly simplified travel to the United States. The entire application process is conducted online and operated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
ESTAs (U.S. Travel Authorizations) are not visas, and travelers from non-Visa Waiver countries cannot apply for them online. The purpose of the ESTA application system is to allow DHS to pre-screen travelers before they leave their respective countries. U.S.-bound Spanish nationals are recommended to apply at least 72 hours before departure. An approved U.S. Travel Authorization does not guarantee entry, however, is a requirement to travel to the United States by air or sea carrier. Approved applications usually are valid for at least two years.
Important Information About ESTA:
- ESTA is not a visa. It is a pre-authorization to board a U.S.-bound ship or airplane.
- The purpose of ESTA is to let the U.S. government pre-screen all Visa Waiver travelers before entering the United States.
- Citizens of the 38 Visa Waiver countries entering the U.S. can apply.
- It is recommended to apply for ESTA at least 72 hours before traveling.
- In the event that your application is denied, you will be required to apply for a B-1 Visitor Visa or B-2 Tourist Visa.
- Approved ESTA applications does not guarantee entry in to the United States.
Do citizens of Spain need to apply for ESTA?
- Yes, citizens of Spain need to apply for ESTA before entering the United States.
- All travelers that intends to visit the United States under the Visa Waiver Program via air or sea.
- Spanish citizens transiting through the United States must also submit an ESTA application and be authorized for transit.
- Spanish children and infants who visit or transit to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.
When should Spanish citizens apply for ESTA?
- Citizens of Spain should apply for ESTA and be approved to enter the United States under the Visa Waiver Program at least 72 hours prior to departure.
- It is recommended to apply before going to the airport to make sure that the application is received and approved.
- If your ESTA application is denied, you must apply for a regular U.S. Visa. For example, a B-1 Visitor Visa or B-2 Tourist Visa.
5 Quick Facts About ESTA
Spanish citizens can apply online.
Application can be completed within 15 minutes.
Over 99% of applications are approved.
Normally valid for up to 2 years.
Major credit card brands accepted